Sunday, March 2, 2014

"Be The Best That You Can Be"

"Be The Best That You Can Be"
Now I personally love this quote. But I feel that a very VERY large amount of people take this too much to heart. They think that they need to be the best at EVERYthing. They need to be the best musician, athlete, have to be social, have to be valedictorian. WHY. I just don't get it. The way I interpret this quote, is to live the best life you can. And honestly, I feel that the people that have to be the best at everything....don't even have a life. 

You should try to be the best that you can be at things you like! But if you hate them, either don't do them, or don't put your heart and soul into them.
Lemme give you an example.

SPORTS: Say you love baseball, and the only thing you're passionate about is baseball. And you love it so much you even love baseball practices. Then YEAH practice all the time, spend time doing it. Get better. Because you ENJOY it. It makes you HAPPY.

But say you don't like baseball, and you only play because you've been playing since a wee lad. 
Then why...why waste your time and energy trying to be good at it? Will you enjoy it any more once you're good at it? No. You'll still hate it just as much. But you will have invested so much time and energy into it that you can't just quit. It. Just. Sucks.

Now a lot of people probably agree up to this point. This is where it gets....erm.. controversial?

SCHOOL AND JOBS
WHAT IS WITH THIS MYTH. THAT A GOOD LIFE NEEDS A GOOD JOB.
And what even is a good job? A job that pays a lot of $$$? What ever happened to money doesn't buy happiness. And I know what a lot of people are thinking, "Well, what if someone is passionate about being a garbage man, then what? Should he just be a garbage man for his whole life and life in a crummy house?" YEAH. WHY NOT?! If that makes you happy. DO IT. 

WHAT IS THE POINT in being a doctor, if you hate it? You work RIDICULOUS hours doing something that you DON'T LIKE. Think about how RIDICULOUS that sounds. You spend the first twenty something years of your life preparing to be something THAT YOU DON'T ENJOY BEING. For what? So you can get money for a nice house that you're barely in because you work ridiculous hours? 

OHHHHHH NOW I GET IT!!!!!!!
It's for your children. So they can have a good childhood and grow up in a "good neighborhood" with lots of money BECAUSE APPARENTLY MONEY BUYS HAPPINESS NOW. And then once they hit 13-14 they stop doing what they like and start preparing to do something they don't want to do just like YOU. WHAT.IS.THE.POINT.

SOCIETY IS REGRESSING.
I think that, and this may come as a shocker, life was meant to be ENJOYED. So, why do humans spend 60% of their lives doing things they don't enjoy. AND OMG I ASKED MY MOM THIS. And her answer drove me off THE FRIGGING WALL "Well That's just life" IT MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT. WORK IS NOT LIFE. LIFE IS LIFE. 

THE ONLY "GOOD" JOB. IS A JOB THAT ISN'T WORK
My dad, did not get a good education. He could care less about school. What he enjoyed was music. He loved it. He played over 11 instruments PERFECTLY, might i add. And so what did he do? Did he abandon music to become a doctor? Or a Lawyer? NO. He joined a band. MET MY MOM AT A CONCERT. Settled down in a ACTUAL GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD.( Was it Good because everyone had a lot of money and nice houses? NO. It was good because all of the neighbors were friendly and nice and they had a big neighborhood dinner every weekend. )
He became a (crappy paying) music teacher, and I have yet to meet a man who was happier than my dad. AND DO I HAVE A BAD LIFE BECAUSE HE FOLLOWED HIS DREAMS??? NO. MY LIFE IS FRIGGIN AWESOME.

SOCIETY IS REGRESSING PART 2
I just realized I forgot to make the point behind that entire section. What has society been trying to do for the past THOUSAND years? MAKE.LIFE.EASIER. HAS IT WORKED? HELL NAW. Lets compare ourselves to the Native Americans. Who spent more time working? Us.  Who spent more time with their families? Them.
Who understood relaxation and fun more? Them.

WAKE UP AND LOOK AT YOUR LIFE
I think about what I'm doing with my life every morning. I waste all my time doing nothing productive with my life, playing video games and socializing. And I smile at the fact that I am doing much more with my life then people who are perfect at EVERYTHING. 
....Enjoying it.

BE THE BEST AT WHAT YOU CAN BE.....AT THE THINGS YOU ENJOY!
You see how I ugh... Made it come ...full circle?... Yeah this blog was all over the place. But guess what I ENJOYED WRITING IT.

4 comments:

  1. Great post!!!! (And no need for a password...I can see this just fine.)

    -Mrs. Gross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ross- nice post, and I especially like it because you're disagreeing with a big, well-known quote :) As for your logic, I agree that people should be optimally doing what they like. A lot of the times, though, people either can't do that (not enough $$, for example), or they don't know what they're passionate about (like me?). If only there were a way we could fix this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you Ross. A lot of kids at our school would beg to differ though; the idea that a good education and doing well in school means a happy life is so widely accepted, especially in the area where we live. One of my personal favorite quotes is "Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy." That really speaks a lot about what it truly means to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross, this post is amazing. People shouldn't get jobs just because of their potential salaries, but to do what they enjoy. To me, being happy with what you do is more important than working your life away at something you don't love. This should be the mindset of all the people in our world, because then the world would become a much happier place.

    ReplyDelete